Saturday, November 1, 2008

Open Letter to Superintendent Jack O'Connell

Mr. O'Connell,

As an English teacher in a CA public high school, I am appalled at your equivocations and truth-stretching regarding education and Prop 8. As much as I would like to see you accept the debate challenge from United Families, I recognize that it will not happen because your position is insupportable.

You claim that
1) schools are not "required" to teach marriage.
2) CA schools have an "opt out" clause if the issue arises.

The truth (as written in the ed. code) is
1) the choice is up to the individual districts. My district (like the vast majority) has chosen to teach health education and thus will be required to redefine marriage in the classroom (Sec. 51933).
2) the legal definition of marriage is required to be supported and promoted across all grade levels. (Sec. 51890)
3) "opt out" clauses only apply when graphic descriptions or body parts are part of the discussion. Since family relationships will not fall under this category, there will be no "opting out" for any K-12 students. So much for parental notification. (Sec. 51932)

I wholeheartedly support my students in any way I can. I want them all to feel equally safe, valuable, and accepted. To do this, I do not need to acknowledge all lifestyle choices as equal. I can champion the individual without trying to define his or her personal morality. My "approval" of lifestyle choices is irrelevant--just as my own moral and religious beliefs should be irrelevant to my employer.

This becomes a 1st amendment issue for teachers (not just students and parents) when we are forced to propagandize in support of a gay and lesbian agenda which we cannot accept. I cannot, in good conscience, bring myself to promote such practices. What then of my freedom of religion and speech? Shall I commit heresy to please you, the CTA and the GLBT alliance? I will not.

Of the 100+ teachers on my campus, I know of at least 25 who are in favor of Prop 8 and angry at the stand taken by you and the CTA. Many of us are seriously reviewing our options and expect to be leaving CTA. The teachers' union should be supporting teachers' rights and working conditions, not promoting a political agenda based in redefining morality. I do not try to define morality for my students--I accept and support them for who they are, whatever their situation. Why should CTA or the Office of Public Instruction attempt to define morality for me and for the families of the state?

I would be interested to hear the answers to my question, and so encourage you to accept the opportunity to debate the issue this weekend.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Diana Giles
La Habra High School
La Habra, CA

2 comments:

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

Thank you! I will share this with my teacher friends at my school.

Anonymous said...

I have decided to resign from the union and will do so on Monday. One of the teachers at one of the school where I teach sent me the agency form where you request the rebate for your union fees. I also used one of the templates of the letter that was sent from the original call for teachers to resign, but left out the last paragraph b/c it didn't seem applicable to our situation. I actually have decided not to even talk to my local union people b/c they haven't been too helpful and they also aren't the ones who you need to send the resignation form to anyway. I also have an name and an address of the lawyer who tried the case of getting union fees returned for political causes and will send a copy off to him. Let me know if you'd like either the agency form or the lawyer's name and address to add to your blog.