Thursday, October 23, 2008

My open letter to CTA and Pres. David Sanchez

President Sanchez,

After weeks of spending my time and money to support Yes on Prop 8, I am furious that the California Teachers’ Association has donated $1,000,000 in opposition. These are my dues you have spent to negate my hard work. CTA’s mandate as a public organization is to promote issues of teacher and student welfare, not to issue edicts on personal morality.

As an English teacher, I often meet with parents who have concerns about the values presented in a recommended book. Perhaps also in opposition to CTA policy, I do not believe that my post-grad degree endowed me with omniscience; thus, in matters of moral upbringing, I defer to the family’s values. CTA, however, dares to attempt to define morality for me, for my students, and ultimately for all families in the state.

I am also concerned that since curriculum in CA is standards-based, a new definition of marriage, will inevitably force the revision of CA Curriculum Standards—at the very least in the areas of Health and PE. What will happen to a Health teacher who, in all good conscience, cannot teach a curriculum that advocates same-sex marriage as equal to traditional marriage? Sadly, the only answer from the No on Prop 8 supporters is: “Teachers choose to work in the public sector; if they don't like it, they should find another job.” Will CTA protect the rights of a teacher whose career is jeopardized by the union’s own advocacy?

CTA’s political positions are often controversial; usually, however, some justification can be found based on teachers’ or children’s welfare. This issue supports neither. For CTA to define morality is unconscionable. I do not promote my personal beliefs in the classroom; neither should my union presume to “represent” me in the media. Proposition 8 is a moral issue and not within the purview of the school system or CTA.

This time, CTA has overstepped the bounds and taken a political stand to promote an agenda that will eventually rewrite curriculum. How do I go about “opting out?”

No comments: