Thursday, October 30, 2008

A sad realization

In talking with our building rep last week, I got the impression that Prop 8 had not gone to committee because (as he said), "it wasn't really education related." In following that thought, it appeared then that the policy decision must have been made at a higher level--the governing board of about 10 people--so I emailed and published that as my belief.

From what I have recently learned, Prop 8 actually was discussed on the floor by the representatives sometime last spring. Unfortunately, there seem to have been very few of our elected representatives who spoke in defense of traditional marriage--none from our district. And so the matter went up for a vote and policy was determined.

That's a very sad statement because it means that I have elected representatives who think so very differently than I do. I also have to admit that I did not pay much attention to the people I voted for. Thus, I have contributed to the current sad situation...and it's going to be very hard to undo.

No comments: